Discipleship classes are held on Sunday mornings from 9:15-10:15 AM
They are designed to guide us in our spiritual growth and to train us up in our walk with Jesus Christ. Based on Ephesians 4:12-15 our desire as a church is to equip God's people for ministry. In doing so, the church will be mature, anchored in biblical truth, and filled with love for one another. Our prayer is that of Paul’s, “that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment... and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God” (Philippians 1:9-11).
Classes run on a quarterly schedule in five tracks of study:
- Story - Aims to expand our understanding of the Story of Redemption told in the Scripture and which continues today in the history of the church.
- Belief - Aims to ground our faith in the teachings of the Scripture held by God's people throughout the ages.
- Discipline - Aims to direct us in applying the Scriptures to our daily lives as we seek to discipline ourselves for godliness.
- Relationship - Aims to shape our interaction with one another according to God's design for humanity made in his image and likeness.
- Leadership - Aims to train up godly leaders to serve in the church, the home, and community.
3-Year Discipleship Scope and Path:
If you're new to Oak Park, one of the questions we often hear is, "What Discipleship Class should I take?" In an effort to guide new members—and even existing ones—on which classes they should take, we've developed a suggested 3-year path. This path will equip you to fulfill the mission of Oak Park and grow to be a leader in the home, the church and in the community.
Quarter 1 Schedule: September 2nd - November 25th
- Story - Christian Story - (Teacher: Mike Bauslaugh)
- From beginning to end, the Bible reveals the glory of Jesus. But for many Bible readers, it isn't that simple. We're often unsure how the Bible's many stories, characters, and events relate to each other and connect to Jesus. This study aims to help Christians understand better how every part of Scripture fits to reveal the glory of Christ Jesus.
- Belief - God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit - (Teachers: Nathan Hunter & Jody Thomas)
- A study of the doctrines of God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit.
- Discipline - The Practice of Godliness - (Teachers: Gary Yochum)
- How can you develop godly character? Author Jerry Bridges says that godliness is more than a character trait: "It is a foundational spiritual quality that makes the entire Christian life dynamic, effective, and pleasing to God." Growing in godliness is a twofold process. It involves an ever-deepening devotion to God and developing character that is steadily transformed into His likeness. This study will help us understand and develop the characteristics described as the fruit of the Spirit found in Galatians 5:22-23.
- Bridges' book, The Practice of Godliness, will be essential for the class. It will be available for purchase in the library.
- Relationship - 1 & 2 Peter and Jude Bible Study - (Teachers: Kirby O'Brien & Jeremy Sumners)
- 1 & 2 Peter and Jude are letters written to churches experiencing various kinds of trials -- false teachers, distorted views of the gospel, and harsh persecutions. Together, these letters form a manifesto of hope for living faithfully no matter how dark the times.
- We will be using Crossway's Knowing the Bible series study. Copies will be available to purchase in the library. Not necessary for participation in the class, but highly recommended.
- Leadership - Church Leadership - (Teachers: Shane Parker & Jim McCallister)
- This course is aimed at equipping Oak Park Leaders with a biblical philosophy of leadership, an understanding of Oak Park philosophy of ministry, and with tools to lead in the church, home, and community.
We also have a full schedule of classes for the year.
Register for a Class:
Registration for the above classes opens Sunday, August 5th.
Complete the registration form or call the church office 812-283-9400.
For more information about our Discipleship Classes please visit the Welcome Center, or contact Kirby O'Brien.