At Oak Park Baptist Church (OPBC) we want to provide men and women aspiring to full-time Christian ministry with the biblical foundations for service in the local church. Interns are exposed to the regular daily ministry of OPBC. They also gain practical experience in teaching and preaching, family ministry, worship ministry, evangelism, and leadership. It is our aim to come alongside your ministry preparations in the following three ways:
- Complementing your theological education
- Exposing you to everyday church life
- Mentoring you through relationship
Structure and Expectations:
Keeping these things in mind, we hope to invest in men and women like yourself over six semesters. Each of the semesters will have a ministry focus of either: (1) Teaching/Preaching, (2) Worship, (3) Family Ministry, (4) Evangelism; (5) Church Polity; and (6) Church Leadership. Interns will rotate through each emphasis to gain broad ministry awareness and experience.
Along with being a model church member, each semester will consist of the following expectations:
- Weekly mentoring session with one of the pastors (Mondays from 8:15 AM – 9:15 AM)
- Weekly staff meetings (Mondays from 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Assist in general office administration
- Serve within one of our mid-week ministries (i.e. Children, Students, Worship, Women's, Men's, Evangelism).
- Quarterly leader’s meetings with Elders, Deacons and Team Leaders (Wednesday evenings at 8:15 PM).
- Engage in an ongoing discipleship relationship
- Regular reading and short writing assignments
- Yearly Spring conference (ex. Together 4 the Gospel, Gospel Coalition, etc…)
- Corporate church events (i.e. Family Business meetings, Fall Festival, VBS, etc…)
We welcome any man or woman aspiring to ministry. While the internship is designed to complement those in seminary or Bible college, we make accommodations for those not pursuing formal education. In this case, we would expect interns to pursue theological study through our in-house discipleship classes.
If not already a member of OPBC, each intern is expected to join the church prior to entrance into the internship program.
- Required Books and Materials
- Conference (includes: registration, travel, lodging, and meals)
To apply for the OPBC Pastoral and Ministry internship click here. Applications must be received 30 days prior to the semester the applicate desires to start the internship. Please allow two weeks for us to respond. Promising applicants will then be contacted by one of the pastors to schedule an interview.
A model church member is one who is fully integrated into the life of OPBC by participating in corporate worship, a community group, discipleship classes, and the mission of the church.