At Oak Park Baptist Church (OPBC) we want our internship to provide men aspiring to pastoral ministry with the biblical foundations for faithful service in the local church. We want to raise up men who are committed to Baptist and historic Christian Confessions; Reformational principles for worship in the life of the church; Exposition of God’s word for the edification of the church, Evangelical engagement of the world with the hope of Christ and his resurrection, and a classical model of Pastoral ministry focusing on the care of souls by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Structure and Expectations:
To instill these values, we desire to come along side your ministry preparations by:
- Complementing your theological education;
- Exposing you to the life of the church;
- Mentoring you through intentional relationships.
Over six semesters we will give careful attention to following the areas of ministry: (1) Preaching, (2) Worship, (3) Evangelism/Missions (4) Church Polity; (5) Pastoral Care; and (6) Confessional Theology. Pastoral interns will gain broad ministry awareness and experience by working through each of these spheres of ministry.
Along with being a model church member, each semester will consist of the following expectations:
- Weekly mentoring session with one of the pastors (Mondays from 8:00 AM – 9:15 AM)
- Weekly staff meetings (Mondays from 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Assist in general office administration
- Serve within one of our mid-week ministries (i.e. Children, Students, Worship, Men’s, Evangelism, Visitation).
- Quarterly leaders’ meetings with Elders, Deacons and Team Leaders (Wednesday evenings at 8:15 PM).
- Engage in an ongoing discipleship relationship.
- Regular reading and short writing assignments.
- Yearly Elder Retreat and Spring conference (e.g. Together 4 the Gospel, Gospel Coalition, etc…).
- Corporate church events (i.e. Family Business meetings, Fall Festival, VBS, etc…).
We welcome any man aspiring to pastoral ministry. While the internship is designed to complement those in seminary or Bible college, we will make accommodations for those not pursuing formal education. In this case, we would expect interns to pursue theological study through our in-house discipleship classes.
If not already a member of OPBC, each intern is expected to join the church prior to entrance into the internship program.
Required books and materials
Any incurred ministry expenses.
Elder Retreat & Conference (Spring Only)
To apply for the OPBC Pastoral and Ministry internship click here. Please allow two weeks for us to respond. Promising applicants will then be contacted by one of the pastors to schedule an interview.
A model church member is one who is fully integrated into the life of OPBC by participating in corporate worship, a community group, discipleship classes, and the mission of the church.